Kartik attended West Virginia University to study Chemistry graduating with BS degree in 2015, then completed preclinical medical studies at the University of Florida prior to starting graduate studies as a MD-PhD candidate in the cerebrovascular research lab of UF Department of Neurosurgery Chair, Dr. Brian Hoh, MD. In 2022, Kartik transferred to Dr. Todd Brusko laboratory to study immune functions in Type 1 Diabetes.
Kartik became interested initially in brain aneurysm research because of his medical school exposure to immunology and vasculature, inspired by the work of his first graduate mentor Dr. Brian Hoh, who is dedicated to improving the care and treatment of patients with brain aneurysms. To pursue this work, Kartik was awarded foundation awards as co-investigator from The Aneurysm and AVM Foundation and the Brain Aneurysm Foundation. Kartik additionally served as Executive Director of the UF Equal Access Clinic Network, a student-led free clinic at the University of Florida, from 2019-2021, compelling his interests in equitable care and ongoing clinical quality improvement. During this tenure, he helped to secure and continue funding support for clinical operations from the UF Medical Guild, Chapman Foundation, Childrens’ Trust of Alachua County, and Florida Association of Free and Charitable Clinics.
Kartik’s current work is focused on studying the susceptibility gene variants and aberrant extrinsic growth, survival, and differentiation factors lead to a loss of T cell tolerance in the context of T1D to determine the phenotypic and functional impact of genetic risk variants and age-associated growth factors on regulatory and effector T cell function.
Funding and Awards
Brain Aneurysm Foundation Awards. Neutrophil Infiltration in Coiled Aneurysm Healing (2019-2021)
- Warrior Challenge Chair of Research $15,000
- James T. Wintz, Jr. Chair of Research $10,000
- Fight Like Frank Chair of Research $5,000
Patient Services Expansion at UF Equal Access Clinic Network. Funding: UF Foundation via FL Assoc of Free and Charitable Clinics (06/01/2020 – 10/31/ 2021)
Equal Access Clinic Network Pediatric Expansion Program. Funding: Childrens Trust Of Alachua County. (02/01/2019-09/30/2021)
Brain Aneurysm Foundation Awards. Osteopontin-mediated Cerebral Aneurysm Healing: Th2 Cell Activation. (09/01/2018-09/30/2019)
- Thomas Tinlin Chair of Research $10,000
- Sharon Epperson Chair of Research $15,000
- Sam’s Spirit Chair of Research $10,000
- Dodd W, Motwani K, Small C, Pierre K, Patel D, Malnik S, Lucke-Wold B, Porche K. Spinal cord injury and neurogenic lower urinary tract dysfunction: what do we know and where are we going? J Mens Health. 2022;18(1):24. doi: 10.31083/j.jomh1801024. Epub 2022 Jan 19. PMID: 35106100; PMCID: PMC8803268.
- Daga A, Nguyen OT, Moothedan E, Czyz DM, Faldu A, Ham T, Goyal A, Motwani K, Feller DB. Antibiotic prescribing patterns for acute respiratory infections in a free clinic network: A pooled cross-sectional study. Drugs Ther Perspect. 2022 Jan;38(1):51-55. doi: 10.1007/s40267-021-00883-6. Epub 2021 Nov 24. PMID: 35755971; PMCID: PMC9232164.
- Laurent D, Small C, Lucke-Wold B, Dodd WS, Chalouhi N, Hu YC, Hosaka K, Motwani K, Martinez M, Polifka A, Koch M, Busl KM, Maciel CB, Hoh B. Understanding the genetics of intracranial aneurysms: A primer. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2022 Jan;212:107060. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2021.107060. Epub 2021 Nov 25. PMID: 34863053.
- Motwani K, Dodd WS, Laurent D, Lucke-Wold B, Chalouhi N. Delayed cerebral ischemia: A look at the role of endothelial dysfunction, emerging endovascular management, and glymphatic clearance. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2022 Jul;218:107273. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2022.107273. Epub 2022 May 6. PMID: 35537284.
- Lucke-Wold B, Hosaka K, Dodd W, Motwani K, Laurent D, Martinez M, Hoh B. Interleukin-6: Important Mediator of Vasospasm Following Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2021;18(3):364-369. doi: 10.2174/1567202618666211104122408. PMID: 34736380.
- Patel D, Dodd WS, Motwani K, Hosaka K, Hoh BL. A Modification to a Murine Model for Intracranial Aneurysm Formation and Rupture. Cureus. 2021 Jul 8;13(7):e16250. doi: 10.7759/cureus.16250. PMID: 34373811; PMCID: PMC8346265.
- Nguyen OT, Watson AK, Motwani K, Warpinski C, McDilda K, Leon C, Khanna N, Nall RW, Turner K. Patient-Level Factors Associated with Utilization of Telemedicine Services from a Free Clinic During COVID-19. Telemed J E Health. 2022 Apr;28(4):526-534. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2021.0102. Epub 2021 Jul 13. PMID: 34255572.
- Sorrentino ZA, Smith G, Palm L, Motwani K, Butterfield J, Archer C, Henderson R, Heldermon C, Gautam S, Brantly ML. An Erythritol-Sweetened Beverage Induces Satiety and Suppresses Ghrelin Compared to Aspartame in Healthy Non-Obese Subjects: A Pilot Study. Cureus. 2020 Nov 10;12(11):e11409. doi: 10.7759/cureus.11409. PMID: 33194505; PMCID: PMC7657312.
- Wajima D, Hourani S, Dodd W, Patel D, Jones C, Motwani K, Fazal HZ, Hosaka K, Hoh BL. Interleukin-6 Promotes Murine Estrogen Deficiency-Associated Cerebral Aneurysm Rupture. Neurosurgery. 2020 Apr 1;86(4):583-592. doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyz220. PMID: 31264696; PMCID: PMC7317988.
- Hourani S, Motwani K, Wajima D, Fazal H, Jones CH, Doré S, Hosaka K, Hoh BL. Local Delivery Is Critical for Monocyte Chemotactic Protein-1 Mediated Site-Specific Murine Aneurysm Healing. Front Neurol. 2018 Mar 19;9:158. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.00158. PMID: 29615957; PMCID: PMC5868072.
- Singh R, Turner RC, Nguyen L, Motwani K, Swatek M, Lucke-Wold BP, Qaiser R. Corrigendum to “Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury and Autism: Elucidating Shared Mechanisms”. Behav Neurol. 2017;2017:5652160. doi: 10.1155/2017/5652160. Epub 2017 Jul 16. Erratum for: Behav Neurol. 2016;2016:8781725. PMID: 28790797; PMCID: PMC5534305.
- Singh R, Turner RC, Nguyen L, Motwani K, Swatek M, Lucke-Wold BP. Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury and Autism: Elucidating Shared Mechanisms. Behav Neurol. 2016;2016:8781725. doi: 10.1155/2016/8781725. Epub 2016 Dec 15. Erratum in: Behav Neurol. 2017;2017:5652160. PMID: 28074078; PMCID: PMC5198096.