The research interests of Dr. Brant are focused on the role of DNA methylation and chromatin structure in regulating gene expression and how perturbations in the epigenome can result in disease onset and progression. Dr. Brant received his doctorate degree from the University of Florida in the department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology under the mentorship of Dr. Thomas P. Yang. In his current position in the Brusko Lab, Dr. Brant is working as a data scientist analyzing single-cell sequencing data in order to better understand the role of the immune system in the onset and progression of type 1 diabetes. In addition to analyzing sequencing data, Dr. Brant is also working to develop tools for visualization of processed data via a web interface in order to enhance user’s interaction with the data.
1. John D. Murray, Bharani Krishna Mynampati, Jason Brant, Abby Sheffield, Marie Crandall, Edward W. Scott. Assembly of Size Selective Multicellular Spheroids of Adipose-Derived Stem/Stromal Cells for Use in Regenerative Tissue Engineering: A Methods and Morphologic Study. Journal of Stem Cell Reports, 1:1-9 (2019).
2. K.A. Streeter, M.D. Sunshine, J.O. Brant, Jorgenson M. L.B. Wollman, E.J. Gonzalez-Rothi, M. Maden, D.D. Fuller. Molecular and histologic outcomes following spinal cord injury in spiny mice, Acomys cahirinus. The Journal of Comparative Neurology 2019 (doi: 10.1002/cne.24836).
3. Jason O. Brant, J. Lucas Boatwright*, Ruth Davenport, Aaron Gabriel W. Sandoval, W. Brad Barbazuk, Malcolm Maden. Comparative Transcriptomic Analysis of Dermal Wound Healing Reveals De Novo Skeletal Muscle Regeneration in Acomys cahirinus., PLOS ONE (2019); doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0216228. eCollection 2019.
4. Daniel C Stewart; P. Nicole Serrano; Andres Rubiano; Ryosuke Yokosawa; Justin Sandler; Jason O Brant; Malcolm Maden; Chelsey Simmons. Unique behavior of dermal cells from regenerative mammal, the African Spiny Mouse, in response to substrate stiffness. Journal of Biomechanics (2018); doi:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.10.005.
5. Malcolm Maden, Jason Orr Brant, Andres Rubiano, Aaron Gabriel W. Sandoval, Chelsey Simmons, Robert Mitchell, Henry Collin-Hooper, Jason Jacobson, Saleh Omairi, Ketan Patel. Perfect chronic skeletal muscle regeneration in adult spiny mice, Acomys cahirinus. Scientific Reports 8, Article number: 8920 (2018) June 11th, 2018.
6. Jason O. Brant, Maria-Cecilia Lopez, Henry V. Baker, W. Brad Barbazuk, Malcolm Madden. A Comparative Analysis of Gene Expression Profiles During Skin Regeneration in Mus and Acomys. PLoS One. November 25th, 2015; 10(11): e0142931. doi:0.1371/journal.pone.0142931. eCollection 2015.
7. Jason O. Brant, Jung H. Yoon, Trey Polvadore, W. Brad Barbazuk, Malcolm Maden. Cellular and molecular events during scar-free healing in the spiny mouse, Acomys cahirinus. Wound Repair and Regeneration. November 25th, 2015 doi: 10.1111/wrr.12385.
8. Jason O. Brant, Alberto Riva, James L. Resnick, Thomas P. Yang. Influence of the Prader-Willi Syndrome Imprinting Center on the DNA Methylation Landscape in the Mouse Brain. Epigenetics; December 2014, 9:11, 1540-1556.
9. Michael W. Lewis, Jason O. Brant, Joseph M. Kramer, James I. Moss, Thomas P. Yang, Peter Hansen, R. Stan Williams, and James L. Resnick. Angelman syndrome imprinting center encodes a transcriptional promoter. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. November 5, 2014, doi:10.10773.
10. Ewa Wroclawska, Jason O. Brant, Thomas P. Yang, and Karen Moore. Improving efficiencies of locus-specific DNA methylation assessment for bovine in vitro produced embryos. Systems Biology in Reproductive Medicine. February 2010, Vol. 56, No. 1, Pages 96-105.
11. Nan Su; Michelle M. Thiaville; Keytam Awad; Altin Gjymishka; Jason O. Brant; Thomas P. Yang and Michael S. Kilberg. Protein or Amino Acid Deprivation Differentially Regulates the Hepatic Forkhead Box Protein A (FOXA) Genes Through an Activating Transcription Factor-4–Independent Pathway. Journal of Hepatology. Jul;50(1):282-90 2009.
MANUSCRIPTS SUBMITTED FOR REVIEW
Jason O. Brant, Russell P. Darst ,Carolina E. Pardo, Irina Haecker, Mayank Talwar, Thomas P. Yang, Rolf Renne, Alberto Riva and Michael P Kladde. Dynamic and epigenetic chromatin variation discovered by molecular imaging with DNA methyltransferase probes (manuscript under revision for Nucleic Acids Research)
Jason O. Brant, Alberto Riva; Cecilia M. Lopez; Michael Paiva; Henry V. Baker; Marieta B. Heaton; Thomas P. Yang. Epigenetic Effects of Prenatal Ethanol Exposure: Genome-Wide DNA Methylation Profiling in a Mouse Model for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (manuscript in revision for Epigenetics & Chromatin.).
YanFei Qi, Avinash Singh Mandloi, Ruby Goel, Juan Zhang, Lei Wang, Ashok Kumar, Ravneet Vohra, Glenn Walter, Yarrow F Joshua, Jason O. Brant, Michael J Katovich, Juan M Aranda Jr, Malcolm Maden, Mohan K Raizada, Carl J Pepine. Functional heart regeneration in an adult mammal, the spiny mouse. (Manuscript submitted to AJP – Heart and Circulatory Physiology)
Jason Brant: (352) 273-9546