Abhishek earned his B.S and M.S. in Biotechnology from the University of Mumbai in India. He then joined Dr. Ryan Anderson’s lab at Indiana University School of Medicine as a graduate student in the Indiana BioMedical Gateway program and completed his Ph.D. in May 2020.
His thesis project focused on the role of the enzyme 12-lipoxygenase (12-LOX) in T1D pathogenesis. For this, he developed a zebrafish model of oxidative stress and inflammation. Using this transgenic zebrafish model and tissue-specific 12-LOX knockout mice, he identified the detrimental role of 12-LOX in macrophages and pancreatic beta cells in T1D pathogenesis. Next, he joined Dr. Mirmira’s lab as a postdoc at the University of Chicago in June 2020, where he studied the role of the polyamines-hypusine pathway in human pancreatic islet inflammation.
Abhishek’s current work is focused on studying the role of the co-stimulatory protein CD226 in the antigen-presenting cell (APC) – T cell interaction in the context of T1D pathogenesis.
- Diabetes Research Connection Grant: Project Title- “Targeting polyamines for the prevention of T1D”. (07/01/2021-06/30/2022)
- DeVault Fellowship: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Graduate Program. Project Title- “Role of 12-LOX in T1D pathogenesis”. (07/01/2019-05/31/2020)
Awards and Professional Honors
- Invited speaker at the “Sugar Science-Ask the expert” session, UCSF (virtual), USA (2022)
- Best poster presentation, 2022 Janet Rowley Research Day, University of Chicago, USA (2022)
- People’s choice award, 3-minute thesis competition, Indiana University, USA (2019)
- Best poster presentation, Annual Diabetes symposium, Indiana University, USA (2019)
- Travel Awards, Indiana University for Midwest Islet Club conference, USA (2018, 2019)
- First position in academics & dissertation project (MS Biotechnology), University of Mumbai, India (2014)
- Science Honor’s in BS Biotechnology (Grade:A), University of Mumbai, India (2012)
- Aguirre RS, Kulkarni A, Becker MW, Lei X, Sarkar S, Ramanadham S, Phelps EA, Nakayasu ES, Sims EK, Mirmira RG. Extracellular Vesicles in β Cell Biology: Role of Lipids in Vesicle Biogenesis, Cargo, and Intercellular Signaling. Mol Metab. 2022 Jul 8:101545. doi: 10.1016/j.molmet.2022.101545. PMID: 35817393.
- Piñeros AR, Kulkarni A, Gao H, Orr KS, Glenn L, Huang F, Liu Y, Gannon M, Syed F, Wu W, Anderson CM, Evans-Molina C, McDuffie M, Nadler JL, Morris MA, Mirmira RG, Tersey SA. Proinflammatory signaling in islet β cells propagates invasion of pathogenic immune cells in autoimmune diabetes. Cell Rep. 2022 Jun 28;39(13):111011. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2022.111011. PMID: 35767947.
- Kulkarni A, Anderson CM, Mirmira RG, Tersey SA. Role of Polyamines and Hypusine in β Cells and Diabetes Pathogenesis. Metabolites. 2022 Apr 12;12(4):344. doi: 10.3390/metabo12040344. PMID: 35448531; PMCID: PMC9028953.
- Kulkarni A, Anderson R, Mirmira RG. A zebrafish tailfin injury assay protocol for quantifying immune cell migration and infiltration. STAR Protoc. 2022 Feb 23;3(1):101196. doi: 10.1016/j.xpro.2022.101196. PMID: 35243379; PMCID: PMC8881708.
- Kulkarni A, Ibrahim S, Haider I, Basha A, Montgomery E, Ermis E, Mirmira RG, Anderson RM. A Novel 2-Hit Zebrafish Model to Study Early Pathogenesis of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Biomedicines. 2022 Feb 17;10(2):479. doi: 10.3390/biomedicines10020479. PMID: 35203687; PMCID: PMC8962409.
- Anderson-Baucum E, Piñeros AR, Kulkarni A, Webb-Robertson BJ, Maier B, Anderson RM, Wu W, Tersey SA, Mastracci TL, Casimiro I, Scheuner D, Metz TO, Nakayasu ES, Evans-Molina C, Mirmira RG. Deoxyhypusine synthase promotes a pro-inflammatory macrophage phenotype. Cell Metab. 2021 Sep 7;33(9):1883-1893.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2021.08.003. PMID: 34496231; PMCID: PMC8432737.
- Kulkarni A, Pineros AR, Walsh MA, Casimiro I, Ibrahim S, Hernandez-Perez M, Orr KS, Glenn L, Nadler JL, Morris MA, Tersey SA, Mirmira RG, Anderson RM. 12-Lipoxygenase governs the innate immune pathogenesis of islet inflammation and autoimmune diabetes. JCI Insight. 2021 Jul 22;6(14):e147812. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.147812. PMID: 34128835; PMCID: PMC8410073.
- Kulkarni A, Nadler JL, Mirmira RG, Casimiro I. Regulation of Tissue Inflammation by 12-Lipoxygenases. Biomolecules. 2021 May 11;11(5):717. doi: 10.3390/biom11050717. PMID: 34064822; PMCID: PMC8150372.
- Hernandez-Perez M, Kulkarni A, Samala N, Sorrell C, El K, Haider I, Mukhtar Aleem A, Holman TR, Rai G, Tersey SA, Mirmira RG, Anderson RM. A 12-lipoxygenase-Gpr31 signaling axis is required for pancreatic organogenesis in the zebrafish. FASEB J. 2020 Nov;34(11):14850-14862. doi: 10.1096/fj.201902308RR. Epub 2020 Sep 12. PMID: 32918516; PMCID: PMC7606739.
- Kulkarni AA, Conteh AM, Sorrell CA, Mirmira A, Tersey SA, Mirmira RG, Linnemann AK, Anderson RM. An In Vivo Zebrafish Model for Interrogating ROS-Mediated Pancreatic β-Cell Injury, Response, and Prevention. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2018 Mar 28;2018:1324739. doi: 10.1155/2018/1324739. PMID: 29785241; PMCID: PMC5896207.