Kit Fuhrman, MS: Doctoral Candidate
Kit’s work teases apart the immunologic events that lead to type 1 diabetes (T1D). Many genes have been implicated in T1D pathogenesis, but how they interact together and lead to T cell dysfunction is still poorly understood in humans. Several components of the innate immune system including IL12A and IL18RAP have been implicated in T1D and play an important role in directing T cell function. He studies the effect of innate cytokine signaling on T cell function and how alterations in genotype could lead to the autoreactive T cell populations that drive T1D development through β-cell destruction.
Ph.D., Biomedical Sciences, Laboratory of Dr. Todd Brusko, Dual Concentration in Genetics and Immunology, University of Florida (Expected 2013)
MS, Molecular Biology And Microbiology,University of Central Florida, 2007.
BS, Molecular Biology And Microbiology, Minor in Computer Science, Graduated with Honors, University of Central Florida, 2005.
Honors & Awards
2013: 1st Place Poster, CIMI Member Retreat, University of Florida
2007 – 2011: Alumni Fellowship, University of Florida
2010: RapiData 2012 at Brookhaven National Labs
2007 – 2010: Grinter Award, University of Florida
2007: Order of Pegasus, University of Central Florida
2006: NCBR Travel Award, UC of San Diego
2005: The LeaderShape Institute, Allerton, Illinois
2003: Apple WWDC Student Travel Award
2003: IEEE Esteemed Undergraduate Research Award
1) A New Zealand Black-derived locus suppresses chronic graft-versus-host disease and autoantibody production through nonlymphoid bone marrow-derived cells. Xu Z, Vallurupalli A, Fuhrman C, Ostrov D, Morel L. Journal of Immunology. 2011 Apr 1;186(7):4130-9. Epub 2011 Feb 18.
2) Retrocyclin RC-101 overcomes cationic mutations on the heptad repeat 2 region of HIV-1 gp41. Fuhrman CA, Warren AD, Waring AJ, Dutz SM, Sharma S, Lehrer RI, Cole AL, Cole AM. FEBS Journal. 2007 Dec;274(24):6477-87. Epub 2007 Nov 19.
3) Methodology for the Iterative Evaluation of Prototype Head-Mounted Displays in Virtual Environments: Visual Acuity Metrics. Cali Fidopiastis, Christopher Fuhrman, Catherine Meyer, Jannick Rolland. Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments. October 2005, Vol. 14, No. 5
4) Fidopiastis, C., Meyer, C., Fuhrman, C., Rolland, J. (Apr 2003). Methodology for the Iterative. Paper presented at SPIE’s 17th Annual International Symposium on Aerospace/Defense Sensing Simulation and Controls, Orlando, FL.
Posters and Presentations
1) Flow Cytometric Immuno-phenotyping of nPOD Donors. Kit Fuhrman, Howard Seay, Todd Brusko, Ph.D. 2012 Network for Pancreatic Organ Donors Annual Meeting. Miami, FL. Poster and Presentation.
2) Targeting the PD-1/PD-L1 Complex with Drug-Like Small Molecules to Induce T-cell Tolerance. Christopher “Kit” Fuhrman, David Gubernick, David Ostrov Ph.D., Todd Brusko Ph.D. American Association of Immunologist Annual Meeting 2011. Poster.
3) Utilizing Autodock to examine molecular interactions of the antiviral retrocyclin, RC-101, with the gp41 fusion protein of HIV-1. Kit Fuhrman, Amy Liese Cole, Andrew Warren, and Alexander M. Cole. UC San Diego National Biomedical Computation Resource, Summer Institute 2006. Poster.